Monday 5 December 2011

Cross country - Gwent League (Swansea)

I took part in the 3rd leg of the Gwent Cross Country League yesterday down at Singleton Park , Swansea. I've never done the Gwent League before, so all of these races are new to me, I have no idea of the course or terrain until I turn up on the day. And this race was no different, I went in blind. My team mates are telling me about this hill or that incline and how you do 1 small lap and then 3 big laps; it means nothing to me, I just race the course on its merits.

Well, it turned out to be a tough race. The course was so wet and bogey, it turned into an energy sapping race. It was a real tough guys course, speed wasn't that important, if you weren't strong you weren't going to do well here!

Long story short I came home in 65th position out of over 250 starters, finishing ahead of a few of the guys who beat me at Bridgend a few weeks ago. I was pleased to be able to finish with a strong surge up the last hill to nick a few positions and a proper full on sprint, dipping for the line to take another scalp! Wet, tired but very happy!

Race and train smart all!

No comments: