Monday 3 January 2011

The future is............?


2011 is here! I'd like to take this opportunity to wish all my friends & family all the best for 2011, I hope you achieve everything you set out to. For me, success is the sum of all the small efforts, repeated day in and day out - you'll get there in the end, believe and achieve!

Over the past few days I did some test sets in the swim, bike and run, just to see where I am compared to this time last year. OK, some things might be a little different, but in general I should be in a similar shape to this time in 2010. For those of you who know me, you know I'm a little coy when it comes to publicising my power/pace/speed figures and in continuing with that theme, I'm not going to give away my figures, but I will tell you if I've improved or not and by how much.

Swim: 400m - 5.5% improvement
Bike: CP20 - 17.5% improvement
Run: 5km - 4.2% improvement

I'm quite happy with these figures, particularly the CP20 bike test, but I should clarify one or two points. During the season I was faster than these times in the swim and on the run (not the bike though) but I'm not comparing my times now with my "peak" times, I'm just comparing my fitness now with last seasons fitness at the same time. Also, the bike improvement may be slightly skewed as my first CP20 test in 2010 was rather pathetic! So it looks better than it actually is, although I am very pleased with the improvement in power, even if I still have the power of a hamster!!!!

I've decided to apply for a slot on Team GB for the European Long Course Champs, to be held in Finland in August this year. If I'm successful in getting on the team that will be my focus for this year. It is a strange mix of distances: a 4km swim, a 120km bike and then a 30km run. So a shorter bike and run, but a slightly longer swim (only by 200m), I guess I'll have to get into the pool and get some serious yards in! If I don't make the team, then I'll have to re-assess my season and target some other races, probably a couple of middle distances races. Train smart all!

3 comments:

Michael said...

Good luck with next season. You should be okay joining the team.

Daz Sharpe said...

good luck with the GB thing, hope you get it but don't think it will be a problem with your IM time from last year.

Mark "Frank" Whittle said...

Thanks guys, I just want to pull on the GB vest once, I can retire happy then! :-)