Sunday 13 February 2011

10k's hurt!


I did a small charity 10k race in Cardiff yesterday. I didn't expect much as I've been laid low with a cold for a few weeks, but I thought I would do it anyway & blow out a few cobwebs. It was a late-ish start (11am) and a beautiful day, no excuses for not setting a PB! I was thinking back to my last standalone 10k and it was probably 8 or 9 years ago, something like 42-something, it's just not something I do very often anymore, however I was fairly convinced I would take a few minutes off this time. I was hoping for 38 or 39 minutes, in truth, if I was fully fit I would hope to hit low 38's. Anyway, I went through 5k in 19:35 feeling ok but fully expecting to slow a little bit towards the end. It was a twisty course, with some dead turns which broke up your rhythm, but nonetheless a big, big effort at the end brought me home in 39:02. Fairly pleased with the time and as it was a small charity race (i.e. no serious runners) I managed to get 4th place (see what I mean, mainly fun runners!). I have another 10k in 3 weeks time, sub 39 is the goal!!!!

I also found out I have managed to get a slot on Team GB for the European Long Course Champs to be held in Finland in August. Pretty pleased as I can now focus my training on this race and get down to some serious hard work. Train smart all!

6 comments:

Turbo Man said...

Congratulations of the 10k PB.

And congratulations also for being selected for Team GB.

Mark "Frank" Whittle said...

Thanks T-Man, much appreciated!

Unknown said...

massive well done mate on both counts, time to crank up the training

Mark "Frank" Whittle said...

Thanks Roy, you're right, time for some serious work now!!!!

Daz Sharpe said...

Welcome to team GB Frank, see you out there :-)

Mark "Frank" Whittle said...

Thanks Daz, hopefully see you out there!