Friday 10 February 2012

Suspected hernia!!!

OK, it seems I have a suspected sports hernia!

I've been trying to manage a groin/lower abs niggle for a while now (I had it a few months ago too, but it settled down quite quickly after some rest) so decided to do some internet diagnosis before going to see the doc last week. All symptoms point to a "sports hernia" and the doc confirmed that it "could be" a sports hernia, but she wasn't 100% sure, so I've been referred for an ultrasound to check it out. Hopefully I'll get that appointment soon, so I'll know either way.

I'm still doing some training, but very little if I'm honest and at a very low intensity. I guess at best the ultrasound will say it's a small strain and I need some rest & rehab for a few weeks, at worst I guess I'll have an operation to fix the hernia and that'll be me out for 6-8 weeks. I think either way my goal to try to qualify for the World duathlon age group champs may be out the window now. Hey ho, these things happen, it's not the end of the world I guess. Train smart guys!

7 comments:

Sags said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sags said...

Very frustrating for you buddy; chin up.

Sags said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kevin Lindeque said...

Bad luck pal, i feel for you, keep posting

Daz Sharpe said...

Not good Frank, give Mat Stephenson a bell if you need any info he's just had a hernia op before christmas so knows all the in's and out's. I reckon its just an excuse not to do dambuster duathlon?

Seriously though, take it easy and get better before doing any hard training or racing.

Mark "Frank" Whittle said...

I've already signed up for the Dambuster duathlon, so that's money down the drain!

Sags said...

Frank, if you find someone wanting a place Mark Shaw may allow you to swap your number. Suppose I could come out of retirement? But I am old and at least 14 stone. 8-)