Monday 18 June 2012

Llanelli 10K


I did the Llanelli 10K yesterday on what turned out to be quite a hot and windy day. The Llanelli 10K is advertised as a fast course but having done a half marathon on the same course I know it's more undulating than the organisers suggest and as its on the coast, it's always windy. 
I went into this race hoping to go sub 38 and get a new PB, my training indicated that was possible but I wasn't too optimistic due to the windy conditions. 

To cut a long story short, this was a tough race, the wind was strong in the first half and a cheeky little hill after the 8k point (which you did twice as there was a short out and back section) provided a real test, it was definitely harder than advertised! The first 5K (into the wind) was fast, probably too fast for me as I went through in 18:35, which equated to a 37:10 finish time if I was able to hold that pace, and I was definitely not in that kind of shape. I started to tire after the 6K point, I was finding it really hard to hold my pace and stay with other runners, and I even considered stepping off the course at one point, but managed to hold it together mentally and continued on. I got into a nice little battle with another runner between 8K and the finish, and eventually managed to drop him on the final hill. 

I crossed the line in a new PB time of 37:39. I was pleased with the time as it was a tough, fast, windy course and I gave it my absolute all as I buried myself in the final few KM's to catch and then hold off another runner. 

I came 12th overall and my club won the team prize (£50 presented by John Hartson), so overall it was good day! Train smart all! 

2 comments:

Daz Sharpe said...

That's why it was hard mate, PB's are not easy to beat! Congratulations mate that's a great effort.

Mark "Frank" Whittle said...

Thanks Daz!