Wednesday 2 November 2011

Trigger Point Performance: The Grid

The Grid from Trigger Point Performance Therapy is my toy! OK, it's not a toy, it's a revoluntionarly foam roller, you know the kind of thing, the tube shaped piece of foam that looks like a kids swimming float that runners use on themselves to make them cry!!! Traditionally, foam rollers are used to treat common running issues like iliotibial band syndrome, piriformis syndrome and plantar fasciitis.

As you can see from the photo on the right, the Grid has a hard hollow shell (so doesn't lose its shape like a traditionally foam roller) covered in a patterned EVA foam, whose patterns provide a different feel on the body depending on the pattern you use. Due to the faster running training I've been doing lately I've been using it a lot on my calves and glutes as these have been very tight of late.

The Grid has a series of DVD's too (which you have to purchase separately) which act as a guide to using the Grid as a tool for core strengthening exercises (whilst massaging you at the same time), with some of them being very similar to pilates exercises. I've been incorporating these exercises into my routine too and have found them very beneficial, I can feel the difference in only a week or so.

It's portable too, it's a small roller, less than half of the length of traditional rollers, so fits neatly into your bag when travelling (which I'm doing a lot of lately too!). It's a great bit of kit and for £40 I'd say it was a bargain! Check out the main Trigger Point Performance Therapy website for more information on the products and some great videos on how to use them effectively.

No comments: